All You Need to Know About Orthopaedics (or Orthopedics)
– What is orthopaedics?
– The orthopedic prosthetist and orthotist
– Constant technological advances in orthopaedics
In addition to podiatry and chiropody, certain specialties are available to treat the foot. For example, orthotics, orthopedic surgery, and posturology.
What is orthopaedics?
Orthopaedics is a branch of medicine that deals with all deformities or malformations:
Orthopaedics is therefore the result of many professions, including the following:
– orthopedic surgeon who will mainly deal with limb surgery.
– the orthopaedic surgeon who will make orthoses or prostheses.
Orthopaedics regarding surgical practices is in charge of the area:
– of the lower limb: leg, hip, knee, foot;
– the upper limb: hand, shoulder, arm, etc.;
– and the spine.
It will mainly treat pathologies and damages to bones, joints, etc. and can be very useful in all foot deformities such as:
– hallux rigidus;
– hammertoe, etc.
The orthopedic prosthetist and orthotist
In this branch, it is medical devices that are treated. Several trades can fall into this category:
– the pedorthist, who exclusively makes orthopedic insoles and shoes;
– the ortho-prosthetist, who makes limb prostheses and orthoses in order to replace an absent limb or to correct deformities;
– the orthopedist-orthotist who makes all kinds of prostheses and orthoses in order to relieve or palliate all kinds of bone, rheumatological, metabolic, visceral, muscular, etc. pathologies.
All these trades are involved in the design, manufacture and production of prostheses and orthoses. Individuals in these trades must have a medical prescription and have obtained the appropriate technician’s diploma.
Constant technological advances in orthopaedics
Whether in the field of orthopaedic surgery or the manufacture of foot orthotics, specialists use state-of-the-art equipment.
Because of this, the orthopaedic-orthotist must have very specific knowledge and master high-tech tools. In order to practice this discipline, as in pedicurist-podiatry, specific training is therefore required.
Good to know: There is a difference between orthopaedics (or orthopedics) and orthotics.
Orthopaedics (or Orthopedics) deals with the prevention or correction of disorders of the bones and associated muscles and joints.
Orthotics is the design, manufacture, and installation of orthopedic appliances to support, straighten, or improve the function of a body part.
Therefore, depending on your health condition, you may be needing orthotics, and not orthopaedics (or orthopedics).
Are you looking for qualified podiatrists in Darwin, Humpty Doo, Casuarina?
There are medically and surgically trained podiatrists at Darwin Foot Clinic and they have the experience to assess the condition you have, what causes it, and which treatment is required. Their podiatrists can prescribe, design, and manage your custom orthotics. This is the right place to go to ensure that you get a customized approach that discusses your particular problem.
Wish you good health ahead, and remember to share your experience with our readers in the comment section below.