Why Choose the Expertise of a Dentist for Your Teeth Whitening Treatment?
Our smile plays a vital role in the perception and image that others have of us. Healthy, white teeth are seen as a sign of health, youth, and charm. Who does not wish to have a bright smile with white teeth? Luckily, there is one treatment that can help restore your smile: teeth whitening! While many whitening kits are sold in pharmacies and many beauty salons offer this service at an affordable price, why is it better to have your teeth whitening treatment done by an orthodontist?
Firstly, it is essential to know that the natural color of the teeth varies from person to person. Even when we have good oral hygiene, several factors can cause teeth discoloration, leading to a loss of natural shine. Among these factors, there are certain elements linked to the lifestyle of patients, such as the consumption of coffee, tea, wine, or tobacco products, but also factors out of control such as medications, which can lead to yellowing of the teeth. Aging is also one of the uncontrollable factors that affect the whiteness of our teeth.
What Is Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening is a simple technique that makes it possible to lighten the teeth by applying a gel, more commonly known as hydrogen peroxide.
Although a wide variety of products to whiten teeth like gel, toothpaste, gum, and strips, are on the market, consulting your dentist before starting teeth whitening treatment is essential. Some over-the-counter products could seriously damage your teeth and gums!
All teeth whitening products contain an active ingredient called peroxide, which acts on the surface of teeth to whiten them. The peroxide concentration differs from one product to another. The treatments offered by dentists are generally more concentrated. However, since they are performed under the supervision of a professional, they are safe.
When the doses are not controlled by a dental health professional, as in the case of an over-the-counter product, damage can be caused to the patient’s teeth and gums. If the patient does not get a professional examination, treatment that was not recommended by their dentist is also likely to worsen a problem that was already present in their mouth.
Lastly, by using these over-the-counter products, you do not benefit from the security that you get from the dentist who can monitor side effects, such as tooth sensitivity and gum pain, and adapt the treatment to eliminate them if necessary.
The Benefits of Professional Dental Whitening
- Since aligners are adapted to the patient’s dentition, they optimize the contact between the teeth and the whitening agents for effective results.
- The results obtained show uniformity that cannot be matched by over-the-counter products.
- In addition, before starting treatment, a dentist may perform a cleaning to remove any presence of tartar, which could affect the effectiveness of teeth whitening and a full examination to ensure that you do not have cavities or faulty restoration to be repaired beforehand.
- When dentists perform dental whitening, they have access to highly concentrated products. To avoid damaging your gums, they will be very careful and apply a product to protect them.
- Thanks to the dental examination previously carried out by the dentist, the risks that the treatment worsens an oral problem already present in the dentition of the patient are eliminated. If a threat is present, the dentist will advise the patient against the treatment.
- Made to measure, the whitening gutters can be worn at the time convenient for the patient, whether at work, at home, in the morning, day or evening.
- Touch-ups can be done after one or more years for lasting results.
- Under the supervision of your healthcare team, you will obtain relevant advice and warnings on how to apply the aligners and the whitening product, as well as with regard to food, beverages, and habits to avoid during your treatment if you want to obtain results that meet your expectations.
Teeth whitening can be offered to all adults who do not suffer from gum inflammation, untreated cavities, or any other medical condition that prohibits it (pregnancy and lactation). It can last for several years if you stop tobacco, limit the consumption of foods that can stain, and continue regular brushing. Touch-ups are always possible to maintain the shine of your teeth.
Are you dissatisfied with the color of your teeth? Would you like to give yourself that bright smile you’ve always dreamt of? Teeth whitening is the solution! To enjoy the many benefits of professional whitening, and to protect your oral health, make an appointment with the Prosthodontics Dental Centre team. They specialize in smile makeovers, using the latest in technical excellence to restore both the aesthetic and functional nature of your smile. They will be happy to help you achieve a bright white smile!